Friday, March 20, 2009

Which Water Should I Drink?

This article is basically part 2 of Chlorine in Tap Water: Is It Bad for You? That article convinces you of the dangers associated with drinking tap water that contains chlorine and fluoride. This article will just give you some simple alternatives.

Pitcher Water Filter (Examples: Brita Filter, PUR Filter)

Come on, do you think these small filters are going to remove all of the contaminants from our water? Isn't that what the city does for us anyway, and then add chlorine and fluoride? Well, that's what they say and these companies do claim that their filters dramatically reduce toxins in our drinking water. These filters are cheap, only $15 for three on Amazon and claim to last for 40 gallons. But, they don't remove everything. For the price, it's pretty economical, and it's definitely better than drinking tap water.

I don't use these filters. However, here's a bit of advice I should take: buy one as a back up to spring or distilled water. I drink distilled water that I buy at the store. What do I do when I run out? I drink tap water because I haven't bought a backup! Pretty dumb, huh?

A Sink Water Filter (Example: Culligan filter)

I fail to see how these filters can last 200 gallons and the pitcher filters only last 40. I fail to see how they can filter as good as the pictures when the water flows through them so quickly. Also, I would never like one of the big filters on my sink, but, as you can see, the Culligan filter I showed above is fairly small. (Read the Pure water filter review.)

However, don't take my skepticism as fact. I'm not a chemical researcher so I can't test this filtered water myself. As a backup to distilled water or spring water filtered before bottling, I'd say these filters are great. I should really take my own advice on this. Maybe I research the best and buy one soon. The best filter is the one you will use, and although I'll still buy my water, it will be a great backup. It'll be great to use for cooking!

A Home Water Filter (Example)

This would be a better idea than getting both a shower filter and a sink filter. Plus, your bathroom sinks would be clean too. However, how well do these work is the question. They don't claim to filter out as many pollutants as the at-point filters on your sink or showerhead. They don't even get some of the things that the pitchers get. They don't guarantee to get all of to the toxins out, but if they get 75% of them, they would be very useful. I just researched this as I plan to buy a filter (or kitchen and shower filters) for myself very soon. I want a backup for water to drink and a shower filter as well. This one full house filter could be a solution to both, but none of them seem very reliable.

Shower Filter (Examples: Culligan Filtered Showerhead)

I think this is very necessary. You are reported to inhale as much chlorine through one 15 minute shower as you do through a few glasses of tap water. The replacement filters for this Culligan Filter showerhead are rated at 10,000 gallons, and at 2.5 gallons per minute, if your shower is used 30 minutes a day, the filter will last you one year. You could put this in your shower, put a filter on your sink, then you'd reduce a lot of chlorine you are consuming. You'll still have to worry about the bath and bathroom faucets though. I like the whole-home filter better.

Distilled Water

This is what I drink. It is filtered through very expensive machines and is supposed to have the smallest traces of ANYTHING in it, therefore being the best for you.

Spring Water

Similar to distilled water, but contains minerals. I will drink this as well, but usually choose distilled.

Top Recommendations (amended after original post)

Whole house filters rid your water of certain contaminants, but not the chlorine. The chlorine is better removed by a shower filter and a pitcher type or sink filter. I'd say get a sink filter as well as a shower filter. If you click the links above you'll see that they're inexpensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark Buttons

Bookmark and Share